July 14, 2017

Summer Vegetable Curry, etc./夏野菜カレーなど

I keep making dishes using the summer vegetables my father keeps collecting from his field.
父が畑から採ってくる夏野菜を使って、料理を作り続けています。
 
"Abura miso" (lit. oil miso)
油味噌
My father calls eggplants stir-fried with oil and miso "abura miso". Eggplants, miso, and oil are the only ingredients. My wife, on the other hand, calls such dish "nasu miso", and this dish always calls for mirin and sugar and another ingredient (ao jiso (green perilla) or ginger).
父は、ナスを油と味噌で炒めたものを「油味噌」と呼んでいます。具材はナス、味噌、油だけです。一方、妻はこのような料理をナス味噌と呼び、必ず味醂と砂糖と他の具材(青紫蘇か生姜)を使います。

Today, I made summer vegetable curry for lunch.
今日は、昼ごはんに夏野菜カレーを作りました。
All of the vegetables in the photo were grown by my father.
写真の野菜はすべて父が育てたものです。

I also used ingen (green beans), also grown by my father (boiled and frozen) and some pork.
父が育てたインゲン(茹でて冷凍したもの)と豚肉も使いました。
I added NO water to the frying pan. After the ingredients were done, I added half the curry roux box
フライパンには水は入れてません。具に火が通ってから、カレールーを一箱の半分入れました。
I later added some instant dashi and soy sauce as kakushi aji (hidden flavors).
後で、出汁の素としょう油を隠し味として入れました。

Some summer vegetable curry dishes are much more colorful and look more delicious as you can see from:
次のリンクで分かるように、もっとカラフルで、もっと美味しそうな夏野菜カレー料理もあります。

Images of natsu yasai (summer vegetable) curry/夏野菜カレーのイメージ

I made "nasu no age bitashi" as part of supper today.
今日の夕飯には、ナスの揚げ浸しを作りました。
Deep-fried,
揚げて、
soaked in men tsuyu (noodle dipping sauce) in a container.
容器で麺つゆに漬けます。

5 comments:

Fräulein Trude said...

Looking at the vegetables: Are those bitter gourds? Doesn't the curry turn quite bitter?

Hiroyuki said...

Kiki: They may look like bitter gourds (goya or niga uri in Japanese), but actually they are cucumbers. My father says they taste better than normal ones with smooth skin. My father does not grow bitter gourds (thank god for that!).

9895039531 seeandoh said...

I also mistook it for bitter gourds..!! But I realised it is indeed cucumbers. The curry will be good with the bits of pork in it. Bitter gourds are very good for health. Use some yogurt with bitter gourd and boil it to take out the bitterness.

Hiroyuki said...

seeandoh: Oh, you too? Bitter gourds should be good for health... Okinawan people, known for their longevity, love them, but I really can't say I like them.

9895039531 seeandoh said...

Lot of Iron in Bitter Gourd. Also it is very effective to control the blood sugar levels. Bitter gourd juice is prescribed for Diabetics.