November 27, 2011

Daikon Pickle/大根漬け

I searched for a good daikon pickle recipe on the Internet, for example, here.
I found takuan, bettara zuke, sa-go-hachi (not san-go-hachi (lit. three-five-eight)), miso zuke, etc., etc.
Since none of the recipes I found fascinated me, I decided to make my same old pickle.
The recipe is quite simple:
Equal amount of vinegar and mirin-fu seasoning (not mirin, which contains alcohol) plus some salt.

1/4 daikon
120 ml vinegar
120 ml mirin-fu seasoning
1 tsp salt

Combine them all and let stand in the fridge overnight.

Unfortunately, I didn't have any mirin-fu seasoning left in the kitchen, so I substituted it with sugar. I should have added 120/3 = 40 ml sugar because sugar is three times as sweet, but I added 20 ml. Besides salt, I also added some Ebisume (a type of salted kombu) for additional flavor.

インターネットで(例えば、ここ)大根漬けの良さそうなレシピを探し、
たくあん、べったら漬け、三五八、味噌漬け、などを見つけたのですが、
どれも魅力を感じなかったので、いつもの漬物を作ることにしました。
レシピはとても簡単です。
お酢とみりん風調味料(アルコールが入っているみりんではなく)を同量と塩を少々。
大根 1/4本
お酢 120 ml
みりん風調味料 120 ml
塩 小さじ1

すべて合わせ、冷蔵庫に一晩置く。

残念なことに、みりん風調味料が台所に残ってなかったので、砂糖を使いました。砂糖は3倍甘いので、120/3 = 40 ml入れなければいけないのですが、20 mlしか入れませんでした。味を良くしようと、塩の他にえびすめ(塩昆布の一種)も入れました。


My wife said she liked it better than daikon nukazuke.
妻は大根のぬか漬けよりこっちのほうが好きだと言っていました。

Sorry, muskrat. If you have any recipe written in Japanese that you want to try, I can help with the translation.
musukratさん、すみません。試したい、日本語で書かれたレシピがあれば、翻訳でお手伝いしますよ。

5 comments:

Ruminating Roy said...

One of the daikon tsukemono that I make here is a sort of spicy pickle that's more adjusted to Texas tastes, but it became a house favorite.

I typically peel, slice, and quarter a normal sized daikon, then core and slice a jalapeno or shishito pepper. Then I soak and store it in the following:

10 to 15 g salt
150 ml vinegar (usually white)

muskratbyte said...

I have a specific website that looked like it had WONDERFUL pickle recipes, but all in Japanese. Unfortunately my Japanese isn't sufficient to translate. I'll look for it. ;O) ありがとう!

Hiroyuki said...

Ruminating Roy: Thank you for sharing your favorite recipe. Come to think of it, I've never thought of adding a spicy ingredient. One red pepper may be a good addition to my regular tsukemono!

Hiroyuki said...

muskrat: どういたしまして。

Ruminating Roy said...

Hiroyuki: I can't believe I didn't think of adding a red pepper to it myself! Looks like I'll need to add that to my shopping list for next time!