November 30, 2011

My Nukadoko on November 30/私のぬか床、11月30日

My nukadoko today:
今日のぬか床:
(Sorry, blurry.)
I forgot to mix it last night. I haven't put anything in it for the last two or three days because I have other types of pickle in my house and I don't want to make nukazuke. I thought of putting it in the freezer again, but I decided to put it in the vegetable compartment of the fridge, hoping to get some daikon leaves in the near future.
(ボケた写真ですみません)
昨晩、混ぜるのを忘れました。この数日、何も入れてません。家に他に漬物があって、ぬか漬けを作りたくないからです。また冷凍庫に入れようかと思いましたが、近いうちに大根葉をもらえるのでは、と期待して、冷蔵庫の野菜室に入れることにしました。

I left the nukadoko airy for a few minutes, in an attempt to kill butyric acid bacteria.
酪酸菌を殺そうと、数分、風通しよくしました。
I am still unable to find a better tool to make the surface flat than my right hand.
表面を平らにするのに、自分の右手よりいい道具がいまだに見つかりません。
Obviously, this job leaves some smell on my hand. I don't necessarily hate the smell of nukadoko, but sometimes I wish I could find a better tool.
当然、手に臭いが残ります。必ずしもぬか床の臭いは嫌いではないのですが、時にはもっといい道具があればと思います。

3 comments:

Fräulein Trude said...

I use disposable gloves (sold in 100 piece packages) and a cake scraper. I don't like the smell on my hands anymore.

muskratbyte said...

I always use my hands to mix - many of the blogs which cover nukadoko say that you always want to use your hands to mix. I actually have 3 small cucumbers that I need to take out of the nukadoko this evening. It's strange, mine has never developed this film like yours. But the pickles are tasty, so I don't complain.

Hiroyuki said...

Kiki: Thanks for your reply. With my small plastic container, a spoon with a long handle is a better tool than my hand. A cake scraper sounds like a good idea. I usually use paper towels to remove bits of nukadoko on the inner walls of the container.

muskrat: Yes, most sites recommend using hands to mix, but as I said above, a spoon is a better tool for mixing in my small container.

No film yeast? That *is* strange!