June 27, 2016

Making Low-Salt Umeboshi, Day 8/低塩梅干し作り、8日目

Yesterday, I transferred the ume from the Tupperware container to an I-Wrap bag, and put it in the fridge. Last night, I tasted one, and found it was quite salty. To be more precise, I had the feeling that when sourness and saltiness were combined, the human taste bud might get them mixed up and mistakenly sense the sourness as saltiness.
This morning, I took the bag out of the fridge,  
昨日は、タッパー容器の梅をアイラップに移し、冷蔵庫に入れました。昨晩、一つ味見しましたが、かなり塩辛いと思いました。正確に言うと、酸味と塩味が合わさると、人間の舌は、2つを混同し、酸味を塩味だと誤って感知するのではないかと思いました。
今朝、袋を冷蔵庫から出して、
 
and had one with a bit of hot rice.
一つ、温かいご飯と一緒に食べました。 
Salty for sure but has turned slightly mellow.
確かに塩辛いですが、ちょっと熟した感じです。 
After having the salty umeboshi, I started to think that my father's low-salt umeboshi were not bad after all. I asked my wife to taste the salty version as soon as possible and tell me her opinion.
この塩辛い梅干しを食べてから、父の低塩梅干しも結局悪くないなあと思い始めました。妻に、できるだけ早く、塩辛いほうを食べてみて、意見をきかせて、と頼みました。

Today, it's sunny, so I started to dry some of the ume in the sun.
今日は天気なので、梅の一部を日干しし始めました。  
I will leave the others indoors to see if the two versions will differ in flavor and texture.
残りは室内に置いて、味と食感が変わるか調べようと思います。 
To be continued.
続く。

2 comments:

Sissi said...

I am so jealous of your ume-based home products! It's fascinating to watch the different stages too (and I learnt how to say "ripe" in Japanese thanks to your posts, haha!). Umeboshi is one of my favourite Japanese products (luckily it's always available here, even in my French organic shop, but it's never law-salt of course).
You will have umesu afterwards!!! This is such a delicious product too. (You could make your own yukari! I was forced to make a false one last year :-( .

Hiroyuki said...

Sissi: Umesu (or umezu), yukari, you seem to have learned quite a lot about umeboshi!

I got a call from my father today, and he told me that he would send me some more. I think I'll make ume syrup and ume jam, because while my family like ume syrup and ume jam, we are not big fans of umeboshi...