May 10, 2012

Urui/ウルイ


Urui refers to young leaves of oobagiboushi (Hosta montana).
Ooba = Large leaf
Giboushi = A type of ornament

Yesterday, I boiled all the urui for 2 minutes, and we had some of them as ohitashi.  Before we had any, my son remarked, "Urui is in the lily family, right?  So, it should be like kanzou (daylily)."  He was right.  Urui was like kanzou in flavor and texture (a little slimy).

Today, I decided how to use the leftover urui.  Put one half in clear soup and use the other half in a stir-fry.

I previously posted a photo of kanzou (daylily) here (fourth photo).

ウルイとは、オオバギボウシ(大葉擬宝珠)、Hosta montanaの若葉のことです。
大葉 = 大きな葉
擬宝珠 = 飾りの一種

昨日は、ウルイを全部、2分茹でて、おひたしとして食べました。食べる前に、息子はこう言いました、「ウルイはユリ科だよね。だったら、カンゾウと似てるんじゃない?」その通りでした。ウルイはカンゾウと味も食感も似てました(少しヌルヌルしている)。

今日は残りウルイをどうするか決めました。半分はお澄ましに入れ、もう半分は炒め物に使う。

カンゾウの写真は、前にここに載せました(4番目の写真)。

Leftover urui, previously boiled for two minutes:
2分茹でたウルイの残り:




Stir-fry:
炒め物:



Urui, ham, and four eggs, seasoned with salt, soy sauce, and sesame oil.
ウルイ、ハム、卵4個を塩、しょう油、ごま油で味付けしたもの。

Clear soup:
お澄まし(澄まし汁(じる)):



Enoki mushroom, urui, and two eggs
エノキ、ウルイ、卵2個

Sorry for the same old dishes, but my priority is to make dishes my children, who can sometimes be picky, will eat!
ありきたりの料理ですみませんが、食べず嫌いになりがちな子供たちが食べてくれる料理を作ることが最優先なんです。

8 comments:

muskratbyte said...

These look tasty to me! I've never seen urui before. I think I would like it - I enjoy most greens, and I love slimy textured foods.

Hiroyuki said...

muskratbyte: I hope you like it. It's not so slimy as other foods like okra.

Sissi said...

Whenever I see an egg dish, I fall in love. I see urui is one more slimy plant you love in Japan!

Fräulein Trude said...

Wow it is Hosta montana. Hostas are well liked ornamental plants in our gardens (they once were imported from Japan and China). Never thought they could be edible.

okasan said...

庭には沢山野生動物がいます。鹿が私の庭を歩きまわるのがすきです。鹿たちは春のオオバギボウシと花を全部食べてしまいました。本当にうるさいです。
In my backyard we have a lot of wildlife. The deer likes to wander about. Every spring they will eat up all my hosta and flowers. It is very annoying.

The water droplets on the big hosta leafs with the sun's reflection will give a shimmering look, that resembles little shiny pearls. I wonder if that's the reason why it's called 大葉擬宝珠!

Hiroyuki said...

Sissi: It's only slightly slimy, and is less slimy than enoki.

Kiki: Glad to know you know the plant and have it in your gardens!

okasan: Deer in your backyard?!

Oobagiboushi's bud looks like a giboushi, and that's why it got its name.

Yangsze said...

Looks delicious! Your son sounds very thoughtful and talented. What does he want to study in university?

Hiroyuki said...

YSC: That's a good question, and one that I want an answer to!