June 2, 2008

Miso Soup/味噌汁




In a typical, rice-centered Japanese meal, soup (usually miso soup) is not optional but required.
Photo 1: Daikon, onion, and wakame (a type of seaweed)
Photo 2: Komatsuna (a type of green) and abura age (deep-fried tofu)
Rice and miso soup are a perfect match because rice and soy beans in miso complement each other in the supply of essential amino acids.
典型的なご飯中心の和食の食事では、汁(通常は味噌汁)は必要不可欠です。
写真1: 大根、玉ねぎ、ワカメ
写真2: 小松菜と油揚げ
ご飯と味噌の中の大豆は必須アミノ酸の供給を補完し合うので、ご飯と味噌汁は相性抜群です。

Years ago, my wife and I attempt to lead a "one bowl of miso soup a day" life, in an attempt to cut back on salt intake, but this didin't last three days. We usually have one bowl for breakfast and another for supper. For lunch, we often skip it.
何年も前、妻と私は、塩分摂取量を減らそうと、一日味噌汁一杯の生活をしようとしましたが、3日ももちませんでした。普通、朝食に一杯、夕食に一杯飲みます。昼食の時は、飲まないほうが多いです。

Photo 3: I put the additive-free miso, made by my father, in the freezer. My father says the miso is made from soy beans, salt, and koji (rice malt) only.
写真3: 父が作った無添加の味噌は冷凍庫に入れています。この味噌は大豆、塩、麹だけでできているそうです。

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your miso soups look hearty and delicious. Do homestyle miso soups typically have greater amounts of edible ingredients than those served in restaurants? My miso soups are copied from the latter and look meager in comparison.

Hiroyuki said...

I'm not 100% sure (everyone has their own preferences) but I think that "gu dakusan" (substantial) miso soup is preferred in many homes in Japan. Personally, I can't stand those meager miso soups that I get in restaurants, and that's one of the reasons why I think that home-made meals are much superior to restaurant meals.

cielowatcher said...

Great blog!
Thank you.

-Cielowatcher