October 2, 2011

My Nukadoko on Oct. 2/私のぬか床、10月2日

On September 29, I finally took my nukadoko out of the freezer and thawed it on the kitchen counter.
9月29日、やっと冷凍庫からぬか床を出して、台所のカウンタで解凍しました。
I had waited for the room temperature to be in the 20-25C range.
今まで室温が20~25Cの範囲になるのを待っていました。
On Sep. 30, I transferred the nukadoko to the tupperware container. I smelled it and found it was OK. I decided to leave it for another day.
9月30日、タッパーにぬか床を移しました。臭いをかぐと、大丈夫そうでした。もう一日置いておくことにしました。

On December 1, I decided to pickle some carrot. Later, I added some daikon leaves (not shown).
10月1日、にんじんを少し漬けることにしました。後で大根の葉(写真には載っていません)を足しました。
And, on the morning of December 2, I was surprised to see that film yeast had formed. I checked the room temperature, and it was 22C. I took out all daikon leaves and carrot, mixed the nukadoko thoroughly, put back the carrot, and put the nukadoko in the vegetable compartment of the fridge.
10月2日の朝、産膜酵母ができているので驚きました。室温を見ると、22Cでした。大根の葉とにんじんを出して、ぬか床をよく混ぜて、にんじんは戻し、ぬか床を冷蔵庫の野菜室に入れました。
I rinsed the daikon leaves and finely chopped them. They were sour like furuzuke (lit. old pickle).
大根の葉は洗って、細かく切りました。古漬けのように、すっぱかったです。
I mixed some of them with natto.
少し納豆と混ぜて食べました。

I will have to wait and see what will happen to my nukadoko.
ぬか床がどうなるか様子を見ないと。

6 comments:

muskratbyte said...

I'm very interested in how your nukadoko behaves after being frozen. Is it okay when yeast film forms on top? I had this happen once, and I scraped the top layer off, per instructions from another website. I'm starting my nukadoko again next week.

Sissi said...

Hiroyuki, you are tempting me again with nukadoko!
Pickled carrot sounds very appealing. I cannot wait to read your impressions.

Hiroyuki said...

muskrat: You need not and should not scrape the top layer off; simply mix it with the rest of the nukadoko. I think I'll provide some more details in a future post.

Hiroyuki said...

Sissi: I still keep the carrot in my nukadoko. I will post about it in a day or two.

muskratbyte said...

I love carrots pickled in nuka! Also daikon - those are my two favorites.

Hiroyuki said...

muskrat: Do you? I'm not a big fan of carrot nukazuke myself, and a few slices of it per meal are enough for me. I prefer daikon and cucumber nukazuke.