November 28, 2013

Trying to Make a Better Coffee Roaster, Part 3/もっと良いコーヒー焙煎機作りに挑戦、パート3

Today (Nov. 28)
Attempt 2: Roasting 300 g of coffee beans in this alumite pot
挑戦2: このアルマイト鍋でコーヒー豆を300 g焙煎する
After the double roasting, described earlier, I made attempt 2.
I put on cotton work gloves first and then the leather work gloves so that I could stand the heat from the pot.
I shook the pot, with the lid on, for 10 minutes. (I opened the lid 4:00, 6:00, and 8:00 after I started roasting to see if the beans were OK.)
I started to shake the pot again, without the lid this time. First crack occurred at around 11:30, but even at 14:00, I was still unable to roast the beans to a satisfactory level.
I gave up the attempt, and transferred half the contents to my milk can roaster to roast them. It took me another 5 minutes or so to roast them fully. Then, I roasted the other half, which also took me 5 minutes or so (if I remember correctly).
To be continued.

No comments: