March 26, 2011

Okara Yaki/おから焼き

I have stopped calling my "okara bread" bread, and now I call it okara yaki. Yaki derives from yaku (to bake, grill, burn, etc.), and means something baked, grilled, etc. And, I have changed the texture of the dough. It is now more like batter than dough.
私の「おからパン」をパンと呼ぶのは止め、今では「おから焼き」と呼んでいます。「焼き」とは「焼く」に由来し、焼いた物という意味です。それから、生地の硬さを変え、いまではdoughというよりbatterのようです。


Premade okara yaki, topped with pizza cheese and grilled, and then sprinkled with sesame seeds, topped with some katsuobushi, and sprinkled with soy sauce:
作っておいたおから焼きにピザ用のチーズを載せて焼いて、ゴマを載せ、鰹節を載せ、しょう油をかけたもの:


You may not believe it, but it's very yummy!
信じられないかも知れませんが、とても美味しいです!

9 comments:

Barb said...

That's very interesting. I would never have thought of putting katsuobushi with cheese.
I would probably love it, though, as I like the flavor of both.
Barb

Hiroyuki said...

Barb: The combination of cheese and soy sauce is wonderful, and katsuobushi is a great source of natural umami.

I totally forgot to mention about the sesame seeds, and I corrected the post.

Kelly said...

That sounds delicious. That may be what I make for dinner now. Thanks for the inspiration.

Kelly

Hiroyuki said...

Kelly: Thanks! I'd like to see some German touches!

Peter W said...

A suggestion for an English name -- you could call it okara flatbread. "Flatbread" covers the category of things like naan and pita, I think.
I love your creative uses for okara!

Hiroyuki said...

Peter W: Thanks for the suggestion. Hmm... Okara flatbread sounds more appropriate. OK, this baked item is now officially called okara flatbread!

k saito said...

おから焼きの生地のレシピをお知らせ下さい。
Please share your Okara dough recipe with us!!

Hiroyuki said...

k saito:

Thanks for retrieving an old post, but unfortunately, I really don't remember the exact recipe.

Check out this post
http://hiro-shio.blogspot.jp/2011/03/okara-bread.html
and make any necessary adjustment (changing the soy pulp to wheat ratio, for exmale) to make the dough runnier.

k saito said...

Thank you. Friend of mine they asked me to get to you.
I will look the link.

ありがとうございます。