September 17, 2012

Echigo-Tsumari Art Triennale, Part XVII/大地の芸術祭、パート17

After I had the lunch, I went to the Matsudai area to see more artworks.
昼食を食べた後、もっと作品を見に松代エリアに行きました。

First destination:
最初の目的地:

D 209

D 134

D 266

D 132

I took a change of clothes with me so I could visit Unkai (lit. Sea of Clouds), a hot spring resort in Matsudai, but I decided not to go there this time.
松代にある温泉「雲海」に行こうと思って、着替えを持って行ったのですが、今回は行かないことにしました。

It was time to head home.
家に帰る時間でした。

Edited to add two photos:
写真を二枚追加:

A little more about BankArt Tsumari

This sheet says, "... We think we will renovate the house just as a normal traditional one.  The kitchen and bath room can be in the outside as in the old days, but they should be clean and comfortable.  While renovating the building, we wish to preserve the things in the house as they are:..."
BankArt妻有についてもう少し:
この紙にはこう書いてあります: 「...普通の家を普通の家のように改修していきた。
外にキッチンがあってもいい。お風呂を気持ちよい空間にし、外の風呂もあってもよい。
ありとあらゆる部分をそのままにしておきたい。...」
I was interested in the approach of those people because it was completely different from that of those who completed the Shedding House and the croquette house.
この人たちのやり方は、脱皮する家やコロッケハウスを完成させた人たちとはまったく違っているので、興味を持ちました。

4 comments:

Fräulein Trude said...

This BankART makes me smile reminds me a little on an exhibition on modern art we visited some years ago. One art object was: some suitcases and big bunches of used / maybe dirty clothes. One friend went nuts: "Therfor I had to pay entrance fees, incredible?! I should take entrance fees for my laundry room too, but who would want to visit this. I want my money back!"
And there is an elephant in the (living) room... got this, got this.

Hiroyuki said...

Kiki: I added two photos, with some description, in response to your comment. I thought that their approach was wonderful, but I wasn't very much impressed with the artworks in the house.

Fräulein Trude said...

"I was interested in the approach of those people because it was completely different from that of those who completed the Shedding House and the croquette house."
True, it is more about to continue and preserve normal living circumstances which can also be quite charming. They don't want to change it into something very different. I learned, people in Japan (that goes for China too) don't like unfashionable (old and inconvenient) houses that much. It is more common to tear down and build anew. Is this true? The more it is a good idea to keep some of this old houses alife and kicking.

Hiroyuki said...

Kiki:
>It is more common to tear down and build anew.
Yes, true. We admire old folk houses (kominka 古民家 in Japanese), and some people opt to find such a kominka and renovate it, but most Japanese tend to scrap the old one and build a new one.
You may not believe this, but the average lifetime of a house in Japan is as short as 26 years. Besides, the value of a wooden residential building will be one-tenth of the original value in 22 years.