October 22, 2012

Kuri Okowa/栗おこわ

This is the third time I have made kuri okowa (mochi gome, i.e., glutinous rice cooked with chestnuts) this fall.
For this time, I mixed all the leftover uncooked 1.2 go mochi gome and 2.3 go uruchi mai (regular, non-glutinous rice) together, 3.5 go in total, plus 30 chestnuts.
(1 go is equivalent to 180 ml.)
Because of the high ratio of chestnuts, I had to increase the amount of water to put in the rice cooker. But just how much? I added water up to the level for 4 go of rice and hoped for the best.
今年の秋、栗おこわを作るのはこれで三回目です。
今回は、残りのもち米1.2合と、うるち米を2.3合、合わせて3.5合を混ぜて、栗を30個入れました。
栗の割合がこれだけ多いと、炊飯器に入れる水の量を増やす必要があります。でも、どれだけ?お米4合に対する目盛りまで水を入れて、後はうまく行くよう祈るだけです。
I made it!
うまく行きました!
Tonight's supper.
今日の夕飯。
I also had leftover hamburgers and leftover tempura.
残りのハンバーグと残りの天ぷらも食べました。

6 comments:

muskratbyte said...

This was one of my favorite dishes that my grandmother used to make!

Hiroyuki said...

muskratbyte: Removing the hard shell (onikawa 鬼皮) and the inner skin (shibukawa 渋皮, lit. astringent skin) from chestnut is quite time-consuming, but I find it rewarding when I have the resulting kuri okowa!

Fräulein Trude said...

I cooked sticky shortgrain rice (from Thailand) with chestnuts last week. I used presteamed and ready peeled chestnuts (thought this was a great idea). Those steamed chestnuts are now available in the shops and usually they are ok, but the brownish colour is a little bit kind of annoying. This rice did not taste/look really good. Guess I have to wait for fresh chestnuts and maybe I should use a rice mixture too or change the rice brand. The taste was somehow off, hard to describe.

Hiroyuki said...

Kiki: I guess fresh chestnuts should taste much better, although I have no idea what a European variety of chestnut tastes like...

Regina Sugimoto Ueno said...

Have you tried roasting before using, its easy to manage and the dish gets a different taste.

Hiroyuki said...

Ueno: No, I haven't. I haven't even thought about roasting before using. I'll think about it when the next chestnut season comes. Thanks for the suggestion.