December 20, 2010

Tori Tsukune (Ground Chicken Ball) Nabe/鶏つくね鍋

I made tori tsukune (ground chicken ball) nabe for supper tonight.

I finely chopped two chicken breasts with my Shigefusa nakiri (because it cuts better than my Global santoku).
重房の菜切りで鶏の胸肉を細かく切りました(グローバルの三徳よりよく切れるので)。

to which I added:
1 egg
1 finely chopped naga negi (Japanese scallion)
1 grated knob ginger
そこに次のものを足しました:
卵 1個
刻んだ長ネギ 1本
すったショウガ 1かけ

Donabe before the first use:
初めて使う前の土鍋:

In the donabe, I put the following:
1,200 ml water
2 tsp instant dashi
1 tsp salt
1/3 daikon, peeled and cut into thin quarter-rounds
Chinese cabbage
Kuri take (previously boiled and frozen)
1 gobo (burdock root), whittled
土鍋には次のものを入れました:
水 1,200 ml
出汁の素 小さじ2
塩 小さじ1
皮をむき、銀杏切りした大根 1/3本、
白菜
クリタケ(茹でて冷凍していたもの)
ささがきしたゴボウ 1本

Then, I turned on the portable burner (called a "cassette konro" in Japanese).
そして「カセットコンロ」に火をつけました。

When the donabe came to a boil, I asked my son to add the ground chicken one spoonful at a time.
土鍋が沸騰したので、息子に鶏肉を1さじづつ入れるように頼みました。

Then, I added naga negi. I put on the lid and simmered for about one minute.
次に長ネギを入れました。蓋をして、1分程煮ました。

Around six in the evening, Three of us, my son, wife, and me, first started to have the nabe. We didn't bother to skim off the foam as we had it.
午後6時ごろ、息子、妻、私の三人でまず、鍋を食べ始めました。食べている時、わざわざアクはとりませんでした。

Today, my daughter came home rather late, around 7:40, so I had to reheat the nabe. By the time the contents of the donabe were gone, the foam had stuck on the inside.
今日は、娘はかなり遅く(7:40頃)帰って来たので、鍋を暖め直しました。土鍋の中身が無くなる前にアクが内側にこびりついてしまいました。

I managed to clean the donabe with a sponge and diluted dishwashing detergent.
スポンジと薄めた食器洗剤でどうにか土鍋をきれいにしました。


9 comments:

Rose said...

Wow this looks delicious! Would this be a good dish for yuzukosho?

Hiroyuki said...

Rose: It was delicious, although it may look so in the photos.

Do you like yuzukosho? For this particular nabe, you are supposed to have the ingredients and the broth, and if you want to have the ingredients with yuzukosho, you may want to reduce the amounts of salt and instant dashi or leave them out altogether and use kombu instead.

Unknown said...

This is a very fine step by step explanation on how to make nabemono. Many fans of Japanese food who live abroad should appreciate this. Thanks.

Hiroyuki said...

simon: Thank you, Ganko Jiji (laugh)!

As you may know, tori tsukune nabe is just one example of the dishes called nabemono (or simply nabe). I will make more nabemono this winter, such as sukiyaki and "udon suki"!

Indirect Heat said...

Heh, it's fun to recognize your nakiri. Just like *my* nakiri - that I purchased as a result of your post about shopping for knivess.

That looks like a tasty dish.

Hiroyuki said...

Bbq Dude: I can't resist showing off my precious knives from time to time (laugh). I hope you have found a good shop/person that can take good care of your nakiri. As for me, I have sharpened my nakiri and petty knives only once since I bought them, with my mediore whetstone.
I will buy a good whetstone for professional use some day and post about it!

Rose said...

Yes I like yuzukosho very much. Beside yakitori I am not sure what to use yuzukosho for. I love the flavor. It is a nice taste for winter don't you think?

Hiroyuki said...

Rose: I'm not a big fan of yuzukosho. Yuzukosho used to be a local condiment in Kyushu, and I was not familiar with it when I was younger. Besides, I don't care much for spicy food.

Indirect Heat said...

Hiroyuki,

I haven't found someone to take care of my nakiri yet. My knife sharpener here in San Diego doesn't do Japanese knives. I may have to learn how to do it myself, or start heading up to Los Angeles more often...