On October 12, my son and I went mushroom hunting again.
Just as we had hoped, we found mukitake (Panellus serotinus) on these two logs from which we gathered some last year.
My son found these giant mushrooms high up on a tree. We made some stupid attempts to gather them by throwing branches and stones, but there was no way we could reach them. We just had to give them up!
My son also found some masutake (Laetiporus sulphureus (Fr.) Murrill), but unfortunately, they were too old to be edible. When young, they are salmon pink and taste very good.
Kinametsumutake (Pholiota spumosa (Fr.) Singer):
Mukitake, washed and boiled:
Kinametsumutake, cleaned and boiled:
Other edible mushrooms, cleaned and boiled:
At the request of my son, I made clear soup, a jumbo omelet, and a stir-fried dish with the mukitake.
I'm going to use the other mushrooms for supper tonight.
October 13, 2009
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Wow, thanks for sharing these pictures. It's so interesting to see mushrooms growing in their natural, untouched homes. :)
pink: And, we are the bad guys who pick them and eat them! But, what else could we do? They are so yummy!
I'm so impressed that you know which mushrooms are edible. I went mushroom hunting before in Sweden with a friend, and kept picking poisonous ones. Did you learn how to do this as a child?
YSC: No, I didn't, but my son did. He's been interested in mushrooms since a preschooler. He is now almost an expert on mushrooms, and he is still 13.
Post a Comment